Monday, 14 May 2012

I Pads

I am a substitute teachers assistant for the Regina Public School Board and today I was at Winston Knoll in the Sr. FIAP room. At the end of the day of the day the students had a full hour to sit with a partner and play on an ipad. For the first half of the period, they were instructed to play an Ice Age game where they had to find coins and build a community filled with animals and houses for the animals. For the last half of the class, they got to explore the different apps on the ipad. They could play games, watch movies, or read articles.

I was very impressed by how many ipads they had in the classroom. There were eight and one student had her own. It was a very neat experience for me to see how the kids were engaged and enjoyed themselves but were also learning at the same time.

I do not have my own ipad but it is in my future plans to purchase one. I definitely want to learn how to incorporate ipads into a classroom for an educational purpose. I hear of many teachers using them but I would like to know what programs they use and how much time they take up by using them.

I plan on going to Estavan to help out in Nicole Reeves classroom. She is teaching grade 2 and has recently been using ipads. I will write about my experience and what I learned from her.

I look forward to your responses and any comments about what you have seen in the classroom regarding ipads or any ideas of how you would personally incorporate them!

Kendra

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have done a few projects with teachers in my school board using iPads. Have the students had the chance to create anything on them yet? Have they created music, video, images, etc.? Thanks for sharing about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete